View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #2601
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I made heavy going of American Weather by Charles McLeod.
I know what it was trying to do, but in doing so it really just bored me. Maybe that was the point, that life in the 21st century is basically meaningless.

I'm not all that smart and I have quite basic tastes when it comes to novels.
I appreciate good writing and I think I can recognise it, but what I really want is a rollicking good plot with as few holes as possible, characters I can believe in and a bit of something that makes me feel smarter for having read it.

American Weather did not deliver.
I ploughed through because I thought it might grow on me like American Psycho. Now that took a little while to immerse myself into, but once I did it paid back.

AW had pages of nothingness describing how people valued nothingness. "I sell to the you you want to be. The you who drives a Prius, who takes out the recycling, who supports local causes, who.." blah blah blah. PAGES of it. And then pages of the opposite "Not the you who secretly wants to visit whores, who wanted to hit that homeless man who ..." Not direct quotes - the book is back in the library - but you get my drift.

There was very little actual plot.
What there was, was already revealed on the back cover. Or on Amazon. The (frankly impossible) main event which happens is in the last few chapters. And then an afterward which was more interesting in two pages than the rest of the book.

It got really great reviews.
So it was either too clever-clever for me or I'm just not clever enough to enjoy it.
Maybe I should stick to V C Andrews in future.