View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #50
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks for posting that image, Grav.
It's quite astonishing how storms like that boil up and bite the unwary and even the wary.

On one trip I did to the US I thought that I was about to be caught up in a tornado.
I was staying in Torrington Wyoming and tornado warnings had been issued for western Nebraska which was a handful of miles distant.
The wind suddenly increased and a storm warning appeared on the TV.
Meteorological violence ensued for about the next thirty minutes, and the motel rattled somewhat, but thankfully it didn't develop into a tornado.

That trip hadn't got off to a good start. The first leg of the flight was from Heathrow to Newark but had to return after about twenty minutes when a large quantity of glassware fell from stowage in the galley and injured a flight attendant. She needed hospital treatment so the delayed flight was of secondary importance in the great scheme of things.
However, late arrival at Newark meant a re-booking of flights and to make matters worse there was a very strong headwind all the way to Denver.
If things had gone according to plan I would have arrived in daylight as I didn't want to drive in darkness after a long flight but it didn't happen.
On my first night I was staying at Brighton CO a few miles from DEN and my discombobulated body clock did not allow me to sleep so I watched 'Are You Being Served?' on TV.
I think I suffered enough on that trip.