View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #702
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Go back and read your first statement.
The "problem" the post in question, and its sign saying NO MUSLIMS HERE!11!1!, was "drawing attention" to, was the fact that muslims are problems. That's not okay in my book, and not a legitimate topic of humour. The sign was not ironic, was not trying to draw attention to the plight of marginalized minority groups in america - it was just islamophobic and gross. Mine, on the other hand, while possibly making light of whatever perceived hardships police face, also humorously draws attention to the very real problem of police brutality, especially with regards to minority communities.

I don't see where I contradicted myself. The place of humour to draw attention to problems with society should be, at risk of sounding self-parodying, restricted to things that -I- think are problems! Or, more accurately, they should be restricted to problems that aren't born from racism, bigotry, hatred, and intolerance. Because none of those "problems" (like the "problem" of Muslims in Amerca) are problems - they are symptoms of the underlying hate and prejudice.