View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 05:31 AM   #36
staceyv
Lecturer

I used to be a veterinary technician about 7 years ago and I was also staff at an animal shelter for almost 3 years back then, too. I had to stop working with animals because I developed cat allergies, but the shop I work at doesn't make me groom cats and they schedule most of them on my day off, so it works out.

I got into grooming because when I got my show girl I had to learn how to groom her for the ring and I just really enjoy making her look pretty. When I worked at the shelter, I always volunteered to give baths after feeding/ cleaning all morning. It's just something I like to do- I want to SEE something for my hard work- I love taking a smelly, dirty and disheveled dog and turning into into a fluffy, clean and pretty dog...

I quit my waitressing job last september because all of my hair fell out and I spent the last 10 months in the apartment waiting for my hair to grow and raising my puppies. My husband has been working his butt off and he makes enough money to support me now, so I was able to go into something I want to do that has sucky pay (at first, anyways). Before, I had to make money- that's the only reason I waitressed- and I never, ever enjoyed it for one second.

My health hasn't really improved- still can't eat most foods and still am confined to bed once a month for two days. I'll just have to call in sick if I can't make it and if they end up letting me go for that- well, I'm getting paid to learn a skill that I can do right from my own home or from any other shop.

...So there's the long answer
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote