Thread: Tattoo You?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
No tatoos here, occasionally flirt with the idea, but worked in a nursing home and know what will happen to them eventually...
When I first wanted to get a tattoo in my teens my bf told me to wait a year to see if I still wanted it - great advice and I've suggested it to people on here.

At the time it wasn't mainstream for women to get tatoos. Certainly not in the provincial town I grew up in - there were women with tattoos but they hid out the daylight in cheap pubs and were rough as arseholes. So I conceived my clever idea of having one that would be hidden if I wanted - ie on my lower back. Hey - hipster jeans weren't around then!

AnyWAY. I talked about it to people at work as well as friends & family. The opinion I heard most often was, "OMG Sundae, how will you feel when you're a Grandmother and have a tattoo?!" And I thought - hang on, I'm never going to become a dear sweet silver haired old lady from an Enid Blyton book - I'm still going to be me....

Never understood where they were coming from. Having knuckles the size of walnuts and tits down to my knees will be far more stressful than having a wrinkly old tattoo.

(This isn't aimed at you LabRat, just your post put me in mind of it.)