View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 AM   #234
diminished
Why Aye,Man!

Yeah, its a pretty good reminder that Death Valley is an extreme environment, and that most stories leading to stupid deaths there (and other extreme places) begin with a bad decision that leads to several more bad decisions.Its was better to realise that we'd made bad decisions, and to let it go.The charging off into the desert thing was abject stupidity on my own part, although there were other people about at the roadside, and Persistence had positioned herself to be able to see me.

We found it pretty hard to deal with the out and out damned rudeness of visitors to Yosemite.

At one point, on the way out of the place, you get the opportunity in a big turnout to take the 'money shot' photo down the best part of the valley.

Light conditions had been pretty rubbish all day, and I'd waited for a good spot to take photos from, to open up.

When I finally got my turn, I was taking multiple shots, and playing with filters and exposures to get the best snap I could, when some bird positioned herself right in front of me and her boyfriend behind me, and began complaining loudly about me.

I was able to feign foreign-ness and incomprehension, and refused to move, although I was tempted to take her photo and ask the guy for $10, or remark that she had 'beautiful t*ts'.

Half the battle getting a good photo in the Parks is managing not to get anyone else in the damned shot.
They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things.They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning ...They overdo everything - they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.
Aristotle circa 350 BC
diminished is offline   Reply With Quote