Thread: Election 2012
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I watched this last year and was recently reminded of it on another forum.
I'll post it here as well. Seems fitting enough.

Quote:
"JOHN HEILEMANN: To me the core difference between 2008 and 2012 is going to be politics of hope which we saw in 2008 versus the politics of fear in 2012. They won't call it that, but so much of this campaign in terms of driving turnout among all of these groups to be about making the Republican alternative totally unacceptable. And they are going to have a billion dollars. You are going to see a negative, an onslaught of negative advertising we’ve never seen anything like. We’ve never seen anything…

CHRIS MATTHEWS, HOST: If the story is hope for Obama, how does he build that by trashing his opponents?

HEILEMANN: No, now it's fear this time. 2012 it's fear of the alternative. And it's $500 million of negative ads run against Mitt Romney or Jon Huntsman or Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry?

MATTHEWS: Does the public want to see that, the President of the United States trashing his opponent?

HEILEMANN: The public may not want to see it, but they’re going to get it, and in the past even though they say they don't want to see it, it has worked in the past, just not on this scale.

GLORIA BORGER, CNN: It’s a very old Democratic campaign running against Republican extremists."
Quote:
Fear of change. Unbelievable. When Democrats win, it's "hope" yet when Republicans win, it's because of "fear" and they are "angry". That's how the left has framed the debate. And that's why it's impossible to have a serious conversation about the economy, stimulus, debts, Healthcare, tax hikes, free trade... Well done. Continue to insult us and to express contempt for our ideas and our philosophy, but at least don't expect us to compromise with you. You started a dirty campaign against us when Reagan, Bush, Gingrich and Bush 43 were in power, now you have it. A divided nation.