View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
10 years, 20 years ago when I was vocally opposed to Christianity, on the grounds that it encourages people to disregard rational thought, and I felt strongly that there can't be any good results from that, people argued, why am I being such a dick? Let them live their lives, how are they affecting you? What's the worst they could do, knock on your door and try to talk to you about something that is a positive force in their lives?

Ladies and gentlemen: 2017. Here we are. People can't think. People accept unqualified talking points as 'gospel' truth. We think the Earth is flat. We don't believe in Evolution. We think the Earth is 6,000 years old and global warning is a hoax. We essentially don't believe anything that scientists say anymore.

Motherƒuckers that affects me. That affects my kids. That affects ALL OF US.
I worry about religion and other memes. I was raised in a church that focused on all that Vatican II hippie stuff which apparently Pope Francis is into. Over the years, I tried to duck the conflict between church and reality but couldn't do it. I got out while the right wing nuts were running my diocese. It seems Bannon had the opposite reaction doubling down on medieval bullshit.

Libertarianism was the other one I fell for, it's so simple and clean. Unfortunately, humans are not simple and clean.

We are all susceptible to accepting nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
We go to a church that lives the Word of the Lord, and they mean it. We support the homeless shelters, and food pantries. And take care of our own, and everybody else. We are a rich church with a mission, if the town got flooded out the doors would be open.
I like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
It all depends on which strand of Christianity someone follows. The 'prosperity gospel' is a travesty - it stands in stark contrast to the teachings of Christ.
This is the face of the public church in the US. When Pence takes over we won't exactly miss Trump but there will be moments.