View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
GIMP kind of sucks

While my desktop computer is getting its shit sorted out I am stuck trying to do a lot of stuff on my linux powered laptop. I am this close to downloading a pirated version of windows 7 and putting it back on this machine except I'm not sure how it handles all that genuine advantage bullshit.

Anyway, I have a bunch of photos of the lathe project and I want to crop them, adjust perspective, correct exposure and other stuff. In theory, you can do that in GIMP. Maybe even in practice, but...

The interface and arrangement of tools is far from intuitve and some of them seem not to work at all. For example, brushes. I finally figured out how to make a new brush of a certain size. There is an option to edit an existing brush, except you can't really. If you click on the brush, and select edit it lets you change the hardness but no other parameter, those options are grayed out. What you need to do is create a new brush, not edit an existing brush (unless you are editing a brush you created) After creating a new brush with the size and hardness attributes I wanted, it didn't actually work, it kept acting like a 20 pixel brush instead of a 750 pixel brush.

FAIL

Then, when you use the rotate, shear, perspective or any other transform tools, they give you a helpful reference grid, except the grid moves along with the image so you have no way of telling how much effect you've applied to your image since the baseline reference moves with the image.

FAIL

It may be extra frustrating after coming from over a decade of photoshop use, but it is sad indeed that everyone regards this as the hands down best linux photo editing tool.

It seems like it was designed by people who never actually did any photography or image manipulation, but thought it would be easy to just write a program.

Two enthusiastic GET THE HELL OF MY LAWNs for them.