View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #32
monster
I hear them call the tide

Meet Report and more

Hmmm.

School actually started and is going well, away meet tonight. They finally got their team warm-up suits last night and were instructed to wear them to school today, and Swimmer Girl reported that it was cool to spot all the other swimmers in the halls, and see all the other athletes who had games/meets tonight wearing suits/ties (boys) and warm-up suits (girls)!

So, to the meet. An away meet in a 6 lane, 25 meter pool (8 lanes of 25 yards is the norm). So the coaches agreed to run only one heat in some events to speed things up. There are usually two.

Swimmer Girl swam three events (the maximum), all in lane 2, which had timimg problems, so results are somewhat uncertain until the manula times are posted.....

SG got on the B Medley Relay, swimming breast. They got third and scored points. rocking!

SG was in the 200 IM (one heat only = 6 swimmers, top 5 score). We think she got 4th (behind her two teammates) ..and she might have got 3rd -but she started the last leg (freestyle) in 5th, and that's her second worst stroke. Way to catch up, honey. Coach was pleased.

Then.... she got "lucky" and was swimming the "freshman 500". Her coach makes all freshmen swim the 500 free at some point. She got "lucky" tonight. She is NOT is distance or a freestyle swimmer. It was actually a 400 because it was a meter pool. But there was only one heat. So only one swimmer would fail to score. That was her. The time she swam was actually freaking fantastic and will probably get her a Junior Olympic cut for USA swimming, but her coach tore her a new one! She's a freshman swimming against 5 seniors/juniors FFS! and is a breaststroke /IM sprinter.

I guess the coach just has big dreams for her, but really? is it necessary to pile the high pressure on so early?

BTW, all the other freshmen and most of the sophomores only swam one event because places were limited.

I am one proud -but kinda pissed- mama.