View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #37
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Yeah, I got a $500 "scholarship" offer from Cornell. It wasn't quite enough to get me to brave their winters.
Yeah ... I had that sort of 'scholarship' from Canadian universities, including my med school. Too bad the scholarship was about 1% of the tuition.

My third son just updated me on current college 'party culture', which is to drink to unconsciousness every Friday AND Saturday. He did not attend an official party school. He bowed out of the drinking culture for his own reasons but has many friends who participated.

I have a hard time relating to that. I went to 'college' (university, in Canada - college was something different) in an atmosphere where there certainly were bars and student drinking establishments, but the goal was to become pleasantly buzzed without actually impairing your ability to think. Most of the grad students indulged in a couple of beers and then went back to the lab. That was it. So my perception of 'college drinking culture' was very different from my children's experience.

After what was possibly the worst final exam of our lives (Thermodynamics, taught by a prof with zero teaching skillz), my then-current bf, current husband, and I repaired to the Grad Students' Bar, The Downstairs John, and each ordered a double Black Russian. The server squinted at us doubtfully and said, 'Are you sure? You want - a double? You're sure?' and went away shaking her head. There was no 'drink until you die' ethos going on there.

It's been an education, learning about the American college drinking culture. So strange. It's the best argument I can think of for lowering the legal drinking age.