View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #3417
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Well if you need anything, Clod does professional voice work, and I do semi-pro (which means I got paid for it once) (and my best friend is an audio engineer with a vocal booth and several expen$ive mics)
I have a pretty good setup nowadays, though it doesn't look like much. I invested in a nice mic, and I tacked soundproofing pads all over the inside of an underutilized closet, and it acts as a serviceable one-man recording booth.

The main thing I struggle with is eliminating wet mouth noise. The only thing I've found that helps is to munch on apple slices between takes. That's part of why I haven't done any discussion-style episodes--munching apples on-mic is off-putting, but without them my voice can sound like a cat trying to escape a bucket full of gelatin dessert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I actually have a background in semi-pro broadcasting (I ran my college's radio station) and secretly, desperately, want to do a regular show.
If I may ask--and I ask out of genuine curiosity, not in a lazy attempt to be inspirational--why not just start a podcast? Is it lack of time, resources, ideas, motivation, interest, other?

If you have any technical questions about podcasting I can attempt to be helpful (though I have already derailed this thread pretty horribly, so elsewhere might be better). If it's just that you prefer broadcast radio over podcasting, I would say words to urge you to let go of the past and embrace the new.

If it's a shortage of ideas or material, I may also be able to be helpful since I have a surplus of both. But I also understand the human drive to pursue one's own ideas rather than another's.