View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #21
Number 2 Pencil
Not too hard, not too soft

Every decision each person makes, and every decision everyone else makes, and every 'decision' that inanimate objects end up taking (such as a path that lightning chooses to travels) has consequences. These consequences propagate from the instant of the event ever outwards in a chain of cause and effect and entanglement. Every possible consequence happens in every possible way, each possibility happening in a different parallel universe. I have no idea how each of us ends up in this particular branch of the universe- one in which we chose to zig instead of zag. But from the 'God's eye view' from outside the whole infinite number of universes, free will is meaningless because every possibility will run its course.

An odd idea that occurs to me when I think of this stuff. If there are an infinite number of universes in which I win the lottery, and also an infinite number in which I don't, are these two infinities equal? It seems that they aren't because more often than not this particular instance of me ends up in a universe in which I don't win the lottery.