View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

DIY Gas Range Installation

My old electric oven quit working safely some time ago, and I recently got a new-to-me gas range. I had a stub in the gas line installed near the kitchen when I had the gas line extended to the gas dryer. But now I needed to get that stub extended from the basement to the kitchen. Here is my construction photojournal.

Name:  01-IMG_9524.JPG
Views: 6417
Size:  65.5 KB
This is the wall behind the space where the stove/oven lives. As you can see, the old electric stove 220V outlet is there, as well as a register for the furnace. This particular duct is amputated and non-functional.

Conspicuous by its absence is a gas line. Not for long!

Name:  02-IMG_9526.JPG
Views: 7258
Size:  82.1 KB
Welcome to my basement, please overlook the mess. The yellow line is my gas line. The yellow line is CSST, corrugated stainless steel, a flexible (slightly so, a bend radius of approximately 18 inches. Not exactly supple, except when compared to black iron pipe.) On the left is a 1 inch line, then a iron tee/reducer 1"-3/4", then off to the right is a 3/4" line that runs all the way to the dryer. This line runs parallel to the wall you saw in the previous picture and somewhat "behind it".

Name:  03-IMG_9527.JPG
Views: 3738
Size:  96.4 KB
Here I've rotated 180 degrees and am looking up at the bottom of the floor shown in the first picture. On the left you see a gray curved conduit, that's the conduit that carries teh 220V electrical for the stove. a little to the right is the underside of the furnace duct/register. You can see the amputation at the upper right of this picture. Also prominent in this picture and the previous one is the black pvc pipe. That is my kitchen sink/dishwasher drain. I installed this new run a few years ago (a different DIY story). The spiral half-inch conduit is armored conduit for my electical runs. Inside those conduits are cloth covered electrical circuits. The white painted valve and the copper lines are the remnants of the relocation of the electric water heater and its replacement with a gas fired unit.

Name:  04-IMG_9529.JPG
Views: 4134
Size:  120.1 KB
Are you oriented now? The tee points in the direction parallel to the joists, and is located a couple of feet to the left of the previous camera position and slightly behind it.