View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 05:11 AM   #26
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Lots of excellent miniseries in here. Thornbirds - oooooh. watched that with Mum ,when i was a kid and loved it. Shogun was one of my Dad's faves - we also had the book on our bookshelves, though I was never able to get into it.

Here's one for you - and it only just really makes it intothe category, because there were two follow ups, but each was based on a book in a series of books :P The current remake, with Kevin Spacey is doing very well for netflix. I haven't watched it yet, but it's on my must see list.

Here's a taste of the original House of Cards, the original four part mini series from 1990. From what I have read, it is very different from the remake in some ways. It had a huge cultural impact. Lots of sayings and quotes from it are still in common currency. In particular, in answer to a leading and sensitive question - 'Well, you might think/say that but I couldn't possibly comment'.

The original, taken from the novel, was supposed to be quite Shakespearian in its approach. The lead character, Urquhart was very much a Iago type character. Vicious, entitled, and utterly without redeeming features.

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote