View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #28
warch
lurkin old school

I was a brownie, but couldnt handle much else. I enjoyed organized sports more- softball, swimming. I did like girl scout camp. I went even after I dropped out of the year round stuff. There was a wilderness challenge, 4 of us( I'm guessing age 11 or so) spent the night on a mountain in PA alone with no adults, (within screaming distance of the base camp) but we had to build a lean-to, dig a latrine, build fires, store the food in a tree. The site was checked the next day and we got a certificate. I remember being very jazzed to make it through that program. In adolescence, I went to a few church camps of various denominations, just to go with a friend, co- ed, purely social, prepubescent thrills, vespers and all that.

I think the camping experiences that build independence and cooperation, with a respect for nature are great. But you dont need scouting to give that to a kid. Sounds like youse do that pretty regularly as a family. I have a coworker here that has a teenage daughter that takes on a new wilderness challenge each summer. This year it was a 3 week long portage from MN into Canada. With just a small group. it was quite an accomplishment. Mom swears its been so great for her daughter's confidence, patience, all around maturity.

And I think the only other good thing about some scouting would be the building of some sense of social responsibilty- opportunities to volunteer, help others. But again, you can foster that with out the whole organized scouting thing, more effectively.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote