Thread: Betting tips
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #833
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.HI.P View Post
You can't say that.
A player may come along to be far superior than Jordan.
I'm not saying that no one will ever come along and surpass Jordan's accomplishments on the court. My contention is that no one will come along and precisely duplicate what Jordan could do/did. It may be semantics, but when you look at it, once a player reaches an established level of greatness, we refer to them by their own names rather than in comparison to those that came before.

The East in the NBA is weak, though. How can you say that, Celtics aside, the conferences are even when the East has three teams playing sub-.500 basketball going to the playoffs (Washington, New Jersey, Philly)? As it stands right now, to start the playoffs with winning records, WAS would have to go (minimum) 17-13 and NJ / PHI must each go 19-10 down the stretch. Beyond that, only Boston has locked down a winning record against the West for this year (16-0 with 14 more West games left), with Detroit and Cleveland currently better than the West, though nothing's locked down.

Compare that to the West, where all the current playoff teams are playing .600 ball or better, all of them have winning records against the East with two lockdowns (Suns & Lakers), and four others within spitting distance of that feat (Spurs needs one more East win, Utah/Golden State/Houston each need two)

Hockey, there's a little more equivocation since any one given team only plays one game against two of the three divisions in the other conference, so I'm not as confident in the numbers there. But basketball? WHIP, if you see something I don't that could give hope to the East (or, be still my heart, the Professional Basketball Team Formerly Known as the New York Knicks), please share. I implore you.