View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #580
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Have I mentioned lately how much I freaking love the internet? First thing I did when I noticed this problem was open up our filing cabinet to pull out the owner's manual. There was NOTHING in there. Not even a parts list or schematic. Actually, that's not true. There was a circuit diagram, but no parts list. Going to the manufacturer's web page gave me a parts list but no details about how the parts work together. It could have been half a dozen faulty components causing this problem.

But going to two different appliance web forums and a separate appliance repair page gave me a great explanation of how the oven works and what measurements I had to take to see if the part was faulty or not.

20 years ago, I would have had to replace parts randomly or hire a repairman to probably replace parts randomly. But today I could ID the problem with certainty and order the damn part with expedited shipping for a fraction of the cost of a repairman and exponentially less than a new oven.

I love you, Internet.
I concur.

This could go in the Interesting links to share thread, but it is relevant here and now. I do the same thing as you described for lots of home and car repairs, and I've found this site (there are others like it) invaluable. Sometimes it's not actually broken, I just need to look up how something is "supposed" to work. Enjoy.

http://www.manualsonline.com/