View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 10:56 PM   #42
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Ah, good. Let's get started. I would certainly accept what the polls say if I could find them. I'm hesitant because I can't seem to confirm these numbers. Watch this, "CNN, MSNBC, NPR, and Reuters polls say 95% of the earths population think Whit is one cool bastard." You'll notice that Roy and I both gave the dates of these polls and some other specifics so that it's easy to check. Oh wait, no we didn't. But since we cited popular sources it must be acceptable. Until, we can verify these numbers I see no reason to accept them. Here's the closest thing I could find, http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in540574.shtml
     You should check it out, it might clarify some actual American opinions, but UT's right I wouldn't swear by any of these. Please note the date's though.
     The Pres doesn't take a popular vote to declare war, he goes to Congress. Am I happy about it? Nope, but our men are there now. Would you suggest Viet Nam style protests and calling our soldiers names and spitting on them when they return? Screw that, they are doing their jobs. Doing them well from what I can tell. They are the one's I support, not Bush. Does he get supported by proxy? Yes. Is that good enough reason to not give support, not in my book.
     As far as taking over instead of destroying goes, you don't think we can destroy everything but the oil wells, and refineries? Or perhaps you think Americans are clamoring for a vacation in one of the palaces? Sorry, that was cheap. Point stands though, the only real value for the US offered in Iraq is the oil. Can we agree on that?

Back to Bush then. So we should impeach him? For being unpopular? We actually have rules that say he's got to be accused of breaking our laws before he can be impeached. We call it 'Grounds for Impeachment.' 'Youthful indiscretions' and insider trading aside, because those issues have been dropped, what US laws has Bush broken? Also, is their anyone reading this that regularly reads the politics forum that is unaware that I dislike Bush? Seems unlikely, the same is true in person. I'd like to think I've made others think about how much they like Bush as well. Free speech at it's most basic.
Quote:
The protests have begun even before the war, which is unprecedented. But the way the government got the public opinion by it's leach doesn't fill me with high hopes.
     As for public opinion on a leash goes, you just doubled the standard. You say we went to war against public opinion and protests, but now it controls public opinion. In fact you did it in the space of two sentences back to back. That's a bit askew. I can't really respond directly so I'll say that people don't have to like or believe in the war to believe in the men fighting it. I think this applies to your last couple of paragraphs too.

Last edited by Whit; 04-04-2003 at 11:09 PM.
Whit is offline   Reply With Quote