View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Well, the thing is, I wouldn't take a trip to Iceland or Alaska or Morocco on my own, I don't think. Too nervous about where to go, how to do it, etc. Especially on my own (ALWAYS assume I will be on my own). It might be cheaper to plan it all, but I won't have to worry about transportation, part of my foods, etc. It doesn't include airfare which sucks, but it's a trade off, I suppose.

The trip I am looking at is to Iceland. They have trips all over the world that are more affordable than the big ones with no fee for a solo traveler. I think I am going to go, I just need to get my passport! Hopefully, I can make it to the Feb or Mar trip because I want to go to an ice cave.

This is the one I am looking at. They have options that you can add to the trip for activities during the free time.

Day 1 — Reykjavík
Arrive at any time.

Day 2 — Golden Circle/Selfoss
From Reykjavík, set out on a tour of the celebrated Golden Circle. Walk through Thingvellir National Park, which marks the meeting point of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates. Continue to the mighty Gullfoss waterfall, and then visit Geysir, the hot springs for which all other geysers are named. Tour a geothermal power plant, and enjoy lunch made from greenhouse-grown produce at a geothermal farm. Opt to visit a spa or hot springs. (1B, 1L)

Day 3 — Selfoss/Vík
Travel along Iceland’s southern coast from Selfoss to Vík, stopping for a look at the stunning Seljalandsfoss waterfall and a stroll along the black sands of Reynisfjara Beach.(1B)

Days 4 & 5 — Jökulsárlón/Skaftafell
Travel to the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon, and opt for a boat ride amid its blue icebergs. Later, visit the Throbergur Cultural Heritage Museum and enjoy a traditional dinner. The next day, hike into Vatnajökull National Park to Svartifoss waterfall, framed by basaltic lava columns. We’ll also embark on a guided walk atop a glacier in Skaftafell National Park. Strap on a pair of crampons, and get up-close views of intriguing ice formations, deep sink holes, and rugged crevasses. Depending on the weather conditions, guests traveling in the winter (November through March) may also have opportunity to visit an ice cave. (2B, 1D)

Day 6 — Reykjavík
Return to Reykjavík, stopping en route to learn about Icelandic cultural heritage at the Skôgar Folk Museum and visit the picturesque Skôgafoss waterfall. (1B)

Day 7 — Reykjavík
Depart at any time. (1B)