View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #543
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Fret board radiusing jig. It's for putting the rounded surface on the fret board. With LC001, I cheated and bought a pre radiused and slotted fret board. I have one like it still, but I want to be able to do it myself. I saw this jig on a luthier bookface group. There are other ways to skin this cat, but I liked this one because it's logical, and it can be used to make a compound radius. I made a couple improvements, too.

There are (will soon be) holes at 9.5", 10", 12", 14", 16" and 18" from the red line. That red line represents where the tip of the router bit needs to be aligned. At top center, it should just touch a 1/4" thick fret board. As the board rocks side to side, the bit will cut into the board, creating that curve.

The rocker board has aluminum strips on the sides with corresponding holes (allowing for the 1/4" thickness of the fret board). If I want a compound radius, I just put the pin in different holes. Like 9.5" at the nut and 16" at the heel. That will cause the arc to flatten out as the router works its way down. I'll attach the fret board with superglue and masking tape.

With the exception of the plywood rocker board, I used that slippery white plastic Azec 'wood' to build this. I like working with that stuff. It's straight and even and you can shape it.... makes good jigs because it won't warp in weather or rot.

You can see how I mounted the router. I centered it, then traced around it on the sled. then I cut two blocks and traced the same arc on them, cut them with the band saw and mounted them to the sled to keep the router in the right place. the pin keeps it from lifting up. This arrangement makes it super quick mounting the router to the sled. The sled has wheels on both sides to keep it moving along the rails evenly.

i also installed leveling feet so I know the work will be flat. I've got a couple little plastic levels that I'll mount once I get to using it and can identify a place where they won't be in the way.

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote