Thread: This is weird
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
glatt

This is weird

Over the last 6 months or so, I've been occasionally having these weird symptoms at night when I'm supposed to be sleeping and am in a half awake/ half asleep state. Usually it's the middle of the night, or early morning, like 3-4 AM. I'll hear a click coming from inside my head. I figure it's in a dream and try to fall back to sleep, and I'll hear the click again a few minutes later. I realize that I'm not actually dreaming, but then there it is again, the click. Sometimes the click is faint. Sometimes it's a little louder. It sounds a little like a rubber band snapping.

The noise is definitely not outside my head, in the room. The room is dead silent. I can literally hear the noise, but it's coming from inside my head. Usually, I'll just fall back asleep again and forget about it. It's happened a handful of times in the last six months or so.

A couple weeks ago, something similar happened, except this time, it wasn't a click. It was a gunshot. Inside my head. Extremely loud. But only one. So after lying there for a while, next to my peacefully sleeping wife, wondering WTF was going on with me, I finally got back to sleep.

The next morning, I Googled the symptoms, hoping I wouldn't find that it was the first stages of some mental illness. Auditory hallucinations. And to my surprise, I found it immediately. It's really a thing. And it's basically harmless, although some people don't like it and lose sleep worrying about it. And it has a funny name. Exploding head syndrome. Glatt has exploding head syndrome. Weird, huh? Life is a strange trip sometimes.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote