View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #2069
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

As I type, mug of tea to hand, the sun is shining through some thin, high cloud and there's a light breeze. Tis the lull before the storm.

The Met Office has been drawing attention to the arrival of Storm Ciara since the beginning of the week.

It has its roots in Texas and was responsible for dumping snow on Oklahoma a couple of days ago.

It has been zipping across the Atlantic and a UK wide weather warning has been issued for 0800 - 2100 tomorrow.

Name:  Storm Ciara.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  48.4 KB

To put some meat on the bones:

Quote:
Storm Ciara will bring a spell of very strong winds. Disruption to travel is likely during Sunday.

What to expect

Flying debris could lead to Injuries or danger to life

Some damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs expected

Longer journey times and cancellations, as road, rail, air and ferry services affected

Some roads and bridges closed

Power cuts with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage

Injuries and danger to life from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts, coastal roads and properties
The leaning tower of conifer in the bank at the bottom of the garden is a constant concern in these conditions.

It sways worryingly in high winds but, as Gravdigr observed, while it's moving I shouldn't worry too much. (I paraphrase slightly).

However, the even taller ash and sycamores across the stream are old and clad with ivy and would cause one hell of a mess if they fell.

So, it's a question of watch and pray, although not necessarily in that order.

UK Met Office