View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 11:39 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Monster, pushing it to the last drop is a bad idea. The hotter the ambient temperature the badder it is. Virtually all cars use an electric pump in the tank to push gas to the engine. Like all electric gadgets, and all pumps, they create heat which is bad for their life span. They use the gas remaining in the tank as a coolant for the pump so when you're sucking the last drops the pump get really hot. I know it's a pain in the ass to stop more often than necessary, but it would be healthier for the pump and sending unit, especially in hot weather, to not let it drop below an eighth of a tank.
You really don't want to give Beest any more reason to beat you.

Actually there can be a big difference in brands of gasoline, especially in winter there are hundreds of recipes for conjuring up gasoline, and two ways to calculate octane. This was GM's bitch about EPA tests in that the gas varied so much. As a result, Top Tier Gas was created in collaboration between GM and Chevron, with other car makers and refiners slowly coming on board with the standards.

As of May 2017 the following have been certified which means every station selling that brand meets specs.
76 Stations, Aloha Petroleum Amoco Ultimate with Invigorate, ARCO, Beacon, BP Regular with Invigorate, BP Silver with Invigorate, Break Time, Cenex, Chevron, CITGO, Conoco, CO-OP, Costco Gasoline, CountryMark, CountryMark Plus, Diamond Shamrock, Esso Express, Exxon, Hele, Holiday, Kwik Star, Kwik Trip, Kwik Trip Express, Mahalo, Marathon, Metro Petro, MFA, Mobil, OAAI, Ohana Fuels, Petro-Canada, Phillips 66, PUMA Energy Caribe, QT, Quik Trip, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell, Shell (Canada), Shell (Puerto Rico), Sinclair, Standard, Sunoco Ultratech, SuperAmerica, SuperFuels, Tempo, Texaco, Tri-Par Qwik Stop, Valero.
A long way from the the first ten than came on board. To be certified refiners pay a yearly fee based on the number of station.

BUT, there's a minority in the fuel pile. When you see a gas station with several large signs saying Texaco, or Exxon, it don't mean jack shit. There is no state or federal law saying they have to sell the brand on the sign.
It's up to the refiner to retrieve their signs(protect their street creds) if that station stops selling their product. You'd think big oil with all their clout could get that law passed in a NY minute.. they could but they don't want it.

Hey Charlie, Bob over at Chevron, how's the boy doing in Little League?
Good good, what can I do for you Bob.
We have a fuckup down the line, I'm good on premium but need 200,000 gallons of regular on thursday.
No problem buddy, terminal C, stations 15 through 30, Thursday morning at 04:00. Give my best to the little woman.

A guy I went to school with, had previously worked on the tankers from Texas to New England. They'd leave Texas and 30 miles out to sea they would add barrels of red dye to the cargo because it was destined for Atlantic stations.