View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #254
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

My last grandparent dies yesterday. Paternal Grandma. Renal failure turns out to be a decent way to go. Hospice was involved and said she was in no pain. My mom was there when she passed. She had been breathing really shallowly, took three deeper breaths, then was gone.

Her husband died in 1970, she never remarried. She moved in with us in the early 80's to babysit when my brother and I were kids, as my dad got laid off fron John Deere and both parents had to go to work. Lived with us for about 12 years, then moved into an assisted living apartment complex just a few blocks down the road.

Things I'll remember about her: playing Kings in the Corner at the kitchen table; the distinct sound of her electric typwriter keystrokes as she wrote her many letters, her diamond heart necklace she wore (which she left to me, I just found out), the sound of metal knitting needles clicking as she worked on sweaters, blankets, hats and booties, her cornflake and red hot candy wreaths at Christmas. I'm sure I'll think of lots more.

I am sad, as this is my last grandparent and frankly I'm feeling very small in the big big world right now, but happy that she went so fast and it was not a traumatic passing.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I just got my period about an hour ago.