Thread: Bikes!
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 01:11 AM   #224
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Monday, holiday.

Tuesday, rode with SonofV to school and carried on to make circuit of Greenlake. About 5 miles total. Coming home I face two killer hills. First gear in your car hills. As a challenge to myself, I strove to make the hill straight up, not switchbacking, nonstop. I made it. I took my pulse at the top, but there were some technical difficulties. I was searching for my carotid pulse (I know where it normally is, seriously) and found only an angry buzz. I persisted and could eventually discern indivdual beats and counted 54 for 15 seconds. 214 bpm. I make one funny looking hummingbird, I gotta tell ya. Well above my recommended maximum. I thought I was gonna pop. A minute later, it was a more human 154 bpm. Whew.

Wednesday, school but the follow on ride took me to a different park, Golden Gardens. Same mileage, same altitude gain, much easier slope.

Both rides were 50-60 minutes, and I did work up a sweat but I took today off--really raining and I wasn't digging the rain. I don't have a good gear answer to riding in the rain yet. I did get some good gloves, Yorktown something something. Really good. Coat, ok, but no good pants or shoes and they get really wet. Not that fun.

More details after Monday, cause I'm going snow camping this weekend with SonofV! Seeya!