Thread: Heavy Metal
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #14
xiphos
Bryan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stress Puppy View Post
Metallica used to be a hair metal band, now they're just ... I dunno.. Is there such a thing as hard country?
Metallica was a Thrash Metal band, and Enter Sandman was the song that made them sell out, and sink really, REALLY low. So, no.

To answer the questions about the sub-genres of metal, they are VERY different from each other. Lets take Black and Death metal for instance. If you do not listen to metal, they would sound the same to you, blast-beat drums, heavy guitars, screaming vocals, so they are almost the same, right? WRONG. It isn't just the music that is different, it's the image, the lyrics, the vocal style, even the number of people in the band in some cases. Death Metal, as already mentioned, is PARTIALLY about blood and guts (the Death Metal I despise, otherwise known as "Grindcore"), but another good half is filled with fantastic lyrics about Ancient Civilizations, (Nile is a good example, as they sing EXCLUSIVELY about Ancient Egypt), places of despair (although this is mostly doom metal, it is done in Death Metal also), etc.

Most Black Metal is about hatred, evil, and Anti-Christianity. The majority of Black Metal sings about Satan, and is filled with shreiking vocals and bad recording quality. Some examples of bands are Dark Funeral, Darkthrone, Slavia, etc. etc. There are, however, Black Metal bands that have fantastic and the most beautiful lyrics you can imagine. Lets take Summoning, for example. They are considered Black Metal, but they barely use the guitar and stick to horns, flutes, and choirs, and sing exclusively about the Lord of the Rings. They even wrote the first song ever to be written in the Black Speech of Mordor (for people who read the book).

Since I am still under the illusion that any of you care, you can read more about the different genres here:

http://metalcrypt.com/ Just go there and click on "metal genres" on the left side.

To Stress Puppy: Dimmu Borgir is a bad example of "screaming" vocals, as that guy has the worst voice I have ever heard, and the band is so fake it's unbeleivable.