View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #75
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What bothers me most is in that vote the government has given up all control except the truth in advertising by I think the Commerce Dept?

Does this mean cities are now allowed to build their own high speed networks?

I have a choice of Comcast, Verizon, or super zoomy Verizon Fios. They are all out there on the pole. They ain't cheap.
One package I had contained 128 channels I was paying for, that were religion, or in a foreign language. But I had to buy them to get what I really wanted.

I also have to pay a surcharge for "local sports" every month. I don't play, watch, or give a rats ass about local sports. Buy I have no choice if I want internet TV.

So all my bitches are small potatoes. The real problem is friends out in Lancaster and Lebanon Counties, oh, and Griff, can't get internet with any speed from anyone at any price.
The population density isn't worth the expense of the necessary infrastructure. So companies like Frontier just milk the captive public for what the can get with minimum investment.
Sure, places like Japan and Korea have much faster net but look at the population density there. That makes a lower investment for the results.

My grandparents lived on a dirt road only 13 miles from the third largest city in MA. Yet they didn't get a phone until 1939, and electricity until 1949. The density didn't justify the investment until the utilities got pushed by the government.

Somebody is spending, I wonder if it's in the right place. Right place for profit I guess.
Attached Images