View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #135
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I don't think Romney's Mormon faith makes him a better candidate for President. But I also don't consider it a disqualifying factor. I think it is clear that Romney was not given consideration by the board based on his faith.

I wonder what it would be like, or what I would be like if I lived in a world which was as finite and well defined as the one where these folks appear to live. How do they handle the inevitable ambiguities and conflicts that arise in life? Questions that don't have a certain answer in "the book". I think in some ways it must be very comforting to know that it's all taken care of. That there are no unanswered questions. I don't think I would be comfortable in such an environment though. I have too little faith, or faith that is too weak. I have a strong need to understand "why" and "how". Sometimes I realize that there are things I don't know, and I then try to find someone or some source that is credible and that I trust. I increase my reliance on those sources. In the past some of those sources were religious figures, scholars, pastors, family leaders. But I was unable to reconcile the differences between the normal humanity of these people, their faults, their striving, their failures, their misfortunes with the story I was getting from the texts, and with my own experience.

I've since increased my reliance on my own judgement, and reduced the amount of literal credibility I assign to people whose actions are like those of the board described above.