View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #95
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Glinda, that "tufting" thing on the Araucana looks really interesting from a genetic point of view (as well as an aesthetic pov!) Are your hens also tufted?
They are indeed, but for unknown reasons the males usually have large tufts on both sides of the head but the females often have small tufts on just one side. Additionally, the males usually have no tail feathers, but the females often do have them. My females have one-sided tufts and tails, although I did have one female that had no tufts and no tail (hawk got her ).

Essentially, purebred Araucana genetics are completely unreliable (two of my banties created a normal sized, bearded hen with a tail - how that happened I can't imagine), except for the blue/green egg gene - that one always comes through.

I'm hoping one of the two females I have now will sit on some eggs this summer, so I can enlarge my little bantam clan.

In the meantime, I got the video! It's not very good (turns out I'm an awful videographer, and jogging backwards is not my best move), but you'll get the idea.

Heeerrrrrrrre's Marlon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmlj4g7YNk4
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote