View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
They are both controlled by the remote control. However, they have (sort of) independent power inputs. Although there's only one hot lead going into the remote control receiver (from the wall switch), there are separate hot leads going out to the fan and light fixture respectively.
Black wire from the breaker box goes to the power input for the controller. Two outgoing wires from the controller connect to black and red wires (from switch to ceiling box) which connect to light/fan's blue and black wires.

White wire from breaker goes to white wire (to ceiling box) which in turn connects to light/fan's white wire.

That part makes sense - or is what I read in your posts. Sometimes white wires must also connect to the controller (depending on its internal design). But, as I read your post, white wires never connect to the controller.

And finally, bare copper (safety ground) wire from breaker box must connect to bare copper wire going to ceiling box. And connects to light/fan's chassis. Depending on the design, that bare copper wire might also connect to the controller - if the controller has a safety ground connection.

All that makes sense. Now you have confused me. You also have another red wire (from the breaker box?) ending inside the controller (formally switch) box? Why does that wire exist? It should not exist. The wire from breaker box should be 12/2 - not 12/3. There should be no red wire to cap off.

As defined, a black wire (from switch box to ceiling box) powers the light. Red wire powers the fan. Each is connected to separate wires on the controller. That leaves no wires to cap off. Red wire powers the fan. Black wire powers the light. Is everything I have posted what you intended? Then why is some wire capped off?

Moving on - exactly what was powered off or on when the AGFI tripped? And did you confirm all safety ground (bare) wires are located inside boxes to be as separate as practical from all other wires.

AGFI were required for all bedroom circuits since 2002(?). Long ago, Dave discussed a house fire created by his Christmas tree. A spark ignited the tree when his wife plugged it in. In five minutes, the entire house was engulfed. They even lost all pets. As far as I am concerned, any live Christmas tree should only be lit via an AGFI - as Dave demonstrates. AGFI would have averted that fire for the same reason why it is also required for all bedrooms. Any live tree should only be lit via an AGFI.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote