Thread: The Obamanation
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #1641
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Not only the "people doing really, really, really well", there are a shitload of people not doing as well as they were, but still employed, hanging on, and getting by. They're scared because the know if they lose their job they're well and truly fucked, so they don't want to rock the boat. They'll likely plug their ears, say nanananana, and vote for the party they always voted for.

It will take a real depression to piss these people off enough to clean house. The Teaparty played to the disgruntled mood of the country with congress, but see who it attracted. People that were comparatively well off, and not pissed off enough to really think about who they were voting for. How else would you explain Christine O'Donnell in Delaware.
I don't disagree with you but I don't know if people will just "wake up" if the situation gets bad enough. It would be the hopeful possibility but xenophobia et al. is the other option, which would just make a horrible situation worse. Many genocides (Rwanda and Nazi's for example) are the result of populations getting pushed to the edge and taking it out on people who had no control over the situation in the first place.