View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 02:46 AM   #38
NoBoxes

Thanks for the effort wolf; but, that test states "(do not draw outside the frame!). Clearly, it would not be an appropriate diagnostic tool for NoBoxes!

Seriously though, as managerial and human resources positions are increasingly being filled by people with generic qualifications (degrees and/or licensure without industry specific experience) they become more reliant upon outsourcing their recruiting evaluations to professional profilers. Many people in hiring positions lack the assessment skills necessary to ensure good job to people matches.

The corporate assessments I've seen appear to have been geared towards determining how many additional responsibilities, outside of their primary position, salaried workers would be willing to accept and how much work hourly workers would be willing to do off the clock. This information is elicited in questions that seemingly address team spirit and customer service. The profiling almost always seems to reflect management's perspective (providing for the bottom line) rather than that of those in the disciplines/jobs being profiled (aptitude and personality match).

I've been through only one assessment that seemed to be geared towards both management and the discipline/job involved: that was for a specialized assignment in the military. I went through an extensive battery of psychological exams (incl. Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Profile) and personal interviews by both the immediate supervisor for the position and the unit psychologist who himself had to be interviewed and approved for his position by the psychologist to the President [there was a psychological chain of authority just as there is a medical chain of authority in hospitals]. I've not yet seen such an interdisciplinary approach to hiring in corporate America. I suspect that most corporate profiling is easily defeated by anyone with experience in the work force.