View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #550
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My first Onigiri ...

I've been wanting to do this for a while, and finally got around to it. I have the right kind of Short-Grained Sticky Rice, but didn't have much in the way of fillings, so I found some chicken and added hot pepper flakes, onion powder, ginger, and an Asian spice mix that is mainly five spice powder to it.

I had my bowl of cold water all ready, and valiantly tried to shape them properly, but handling hot rice is not something I have a lot of experience with. Cold rice won't stick together properly, so I just toughed it out. I started trying to make them the size the "recipe" recommended (one cup of rice per ball), but that's just too darn huge for my purposes, so I started doing them a bit smaller. I do need to work out some kinks with the filling to rice ratio.

Overall, they're pretty good. I didn't bother with the Nori (seaweed sheets), even though I did have a package of it available. Maybe after I get a little better at smushing them together.
Attached Images

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 04-04-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: oh, yeah, there's a picture.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote