View Single Post
Old 10-20-2003, 06:46 PM   #23
sophie
Person Who Has Posted

domestic/big cat hybrids!

Love these big babies!!!! I agree that most people don't have the required facilities/permits/knowledge and training to have wild cats at home...but this is exactly why exciting new breeds are being created by outcrossing domestic and wild cats.The result are great,intelligent,beautiful animals with sweet temperament AND the amazing look of a jungle creature!!
There is the Bengal cat (from the Asian Leopard Cat), the Savannah (from the african Serval)...the Safari (from the Geoffroy's Cat),the Bristol (from the Margay),the Chausie (from the Asian Jungle Cats),the Kanaani or Canaan(from the Felis lybica gordonii)...etc etc!
There is actually an hybrid being created specifically from the fishing cat,called a Bagral-or Machbagral. (visit www.embercreek.com for more infos)

There's a lot of information about these new breeds on the Net(www.hybridbeauty.com)....I own two Bengal crosses myself,and they are the most athletic,intelligent,inquisitive and well-behaved cats I ever owned!!! They are quite fascinated with water,and the older one loves to play fetch-just like a dog!
The new breeds are the results of careful outcrossing,removed 2 or 3 generations from their wild "grandparents",so are mostly domestic in nature-use cat litters faithfully,eat regular good quality catfood,and are actually easier to train since they are quite intelligent.
I wouldn't worry about a Bengal or a Savannah attacking me in the middle of the night,the worst that can happen is that they outcrowd you in bed!!!! >^..^<
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote