View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Help modifying recipe

Hi all, I need help modifying a recipe. I am going to be having a bad day on Wednesday and I think this recipe would be great comfort food. The thing is, I want to make it before hand and bake it Wednesday so I can just relax. Any ideas how to modify the baking part of it? Do you think it will still be OK if I bake it a day or two after I make it?

Thanks!

from here: http://thecrepesofwrath.wordpress.co...erogi-lasagna/

Pierogi Lasagna
from The Omnomicon

1 lb. lasagna noodles (don’t use the no-boil kind; I tried doing this and they were much too dry for this dish)
4 lbs. red or white potatoes
1/4 cup low-fat/fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup skim milk
2 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks)
1 onion, sliced in rings

1. Cook the noodles, lay them out on tin foil or parchment paper greased with Pam.
2. Chop the potatoes into 1″ cubes, place in pot of cold water (enough to cover), and allow it to come to a boil. Continue boil until potatoes are soft enough to yield to a fork stab (about 15 minutes). Drain, mash, blend with a mixer. Toss in the sour cream and milk, and mix some more. Add salt to taste. Stir in cheddar (it will melt).
3. Melt all the butter over medium-high heat, then saute the onion until the rings no longer hold their shape (about 5-8 minutes).
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with some of the onion-butter (I also sprayed the pan with Pam – I’m terrified of food sticking to dishes, hah). Lay three of the noodles on the bottom of the dish, then spread the potatoes, a dollop at a time, along the length of each noodle.
5. Once done, smooth the potatoes, then spread about a quarter of the onion on top, and drizzle a small amount of butter as well. Repeat this twice (or more if your dish can accommodate), then top with noodles and the remainder of the onions and butter.
6. Pop it in the oven for 20 minutes, or until melty and golden looking. Allow to cool 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Serves 6-8.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote