View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #88
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Re: books you are currently reading

I went on a CS Lewis kick and am going through his Chronicles of Narnia. I'm on the third of them. They are a very light read, but good kids book stuff. And recently I hear they are making a movie of them!

I hooked a speech therapist co-worker of mine onto the Narnia books. I later found out she was Jewish. I wounder if I should mention to her that those books can be read as a Christian allegory... I mean, if someone gave me some books that later turned out to be, say, a Hindu allegory, I really wouldn't mind, I actually might find it more interesting. But I wonder if some people would consider it an attack on their faith, or a sly attempt at proselytizing or something.

I'm slogging through Mission of Gravity - a hard sci-fi book by Hal Clement. Imagine a super-large and dense planet with a gravity hundreds of times that of earth, yet spinning so fast that at the equator the gravity is only about 4 or 5 G's. Hal Clement's stuff is like reading a great physics book with a plot!

Oh, and I just finished reading 'Anti-Abortionist at Large: How to Argue Intelligently about Abortion and Live to Tell About It' It's about a pro-life philosophy professor (and I think priest) that was into public debate on the abortion issue.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote