View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #51
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I've only been remotely close to a tornado once. It hit Raleigh in 2011 (I think). It was only a few miles outside of downtown....where I was. I believe there was even damage downtown. On my side of town, I had my mother calling me to ask about it. She is usually watching the weather channel so she thinks things happening hours away are in my backyard.

Turns out, it was coming right for me. One made landfall less than a mile from my apartment. Right on the other side of the river that was in my back yard.
For the first time ever, I experienced the calm in the storm. It was freaky. I wish I had been taking pictures like I do then.

And yes, I called my mother afterward and apologized.

ETA: From wikipedia
Quote:
The tornado continued to track northeast, in the direction of downtown Raleigh; by this time a very sharply defined hook echo was visible on local radar. The tornado began passing through suburban subdivisions on the southwest side of Raleigh as it approached Downtown. Many homes sustained damage, mostly to roofs and from falling trees.[25] The tornado maintained EF1 intensity as it passed through neighborhoods into downtown Raleigh. Severe damage was reported to many commercial businesses in the South Saunders Street (US 70) area south of downtown near Interstate 40. Many local thoroughfares and neighborhoods were rendered impassable due to building debris, tree damage, and downed power lines. The Shaw University campus was badly damaged by the tornado. Live WRAL camera footage showed [26] a rain-wrapped tornado approach the city from the southwest and cross I-40 at South Saunders Street, accompanied by power flashes and flying debris. Many homes and businesses in the Raleigh area were badly damaged. Damage in the downtown area was rated EF1.[24]

After striking the downtown area, the tornado continued northeast, damaging Oakwood Cemetery and the St. Augustine's University campus. The tornado intensified again to EF2 strength as it passed through Raleigh's northeastern neighborhoods and subdivisions. Many homes were badly damaged, losing roofs and walls. Many trees and powerlines were downed and some homes were nearly destroyed. Still on the ground, it continued to track northeast through the northeastern suburbs, tracking along Capital Boulevard / U.S. Route 1 and U.S. Route 401 before tracking through a mobile home park at 4:05 pm EDT, producing severe damage, and killing four people

Last edited by bbro; 06-07-2018 at 01:28 PM.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote