View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The secret war between city dwellers and suburban dwellers

Man, I don't know how it is where you live. But where I live, there is a cultural war going on between city dwellers and suburban dwellers.

It's completely unreported in any media, and I suspect it may be quite different in different areas. The war is fully on here in the Boston-to-DC corridor.

This war seems to be primarily going on in the middle class.

Many city folks now have a bitter disgust, spilling over into name-calling hatred, of suburb folk. The city people feel they are a stronger race. They're more cultured, more well-rounded, and more fully self-actualized. In turn, they believe any suburbanite is potentially racist, potentially religious extremist, almost certainly an asshole frightened into gun owning and worse. The suburban sprawl has caused new reliance on cars and has destroyed local farms; all the suburbanites are directly responsible for this. A minority of city folk are actually angry when they have to go to the burbs to do business.

Meanwhile, the suburbanites seem completely unaware that there is a war on. They complain about the aspects of the city that they don't like, but they will usually associate themselves with it willingly.

I live 10 miles outside the Philadelphia city border, and so I can't honestly say I'm Philadelphian. But I enjoy the city immensely, follow its sports teams, watch its local news broadcasts, play music in its bars, enjoy it as much as possible. I'd be happy to labeled Philadelphian. I wouldn't correct it.

What's it like where you are? Is there a war on?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote