Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Brexit

I've been avoiding talking about the upcoming EU Referendum, because I find the whole thing deeply depressing. I will be voting to remain in the EU, but I fear that the Brexiters will win the day and we will be leaving the EU shortly. I think this will be damaging to our country in many ways. I also think it will be damaging to Europe.

But that's not really why I'm posting - I don't know if y'all have seen the news about the recent killing of an MP in Yorkshire? The killer shouted 'Britain First' as he attacked. The MP was a 'pro-immigration' MP, by which I mean she was against the anti-immigration rhetoric and was proud of the multicultural nature of her constituency.

It saddens me that this has happened. It would sadden me whatever her political stripe - there is no room for violence and assassination in a democratic state. But it also saddens me because she was one of the good ones. She was a hardworking constituency MP, going to bat for her constituents time and again and always available to them through surgeries and visits. She was a lovely woman.

It is also a shocking thing for it to happen so close to home. Kirklees, the borough in which her constituency sits is one of the neighbouring boroughs to mine. Our two boroughs often collaborate and pool resources on things - there are a number of services, for instance that our two councils share responsibility and oversight for.

It's a wake up call, I think, as to just how deep seated the tensions over immigration and Britain's EU membership run. We are not a happy land right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...west-yorkshire

Last edited by DanaC; 06-18-2016 at 05:57 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote