View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

About the OP. I think friends come and go sometimes. Other times they stay. I have come to believe that you don't have to know someone intimately to have them be a friend to you.

I think a common mistake most of us make is thinking that because a friendship drifts apart or even seems to end abruptly, that someone has done something wrong or something. I've come to have a more fatalistic view of friendship over the last couple of years, and I now believe that a friend is anyone who wants to help you even with something small, and someone who you feel good about having in your life, and like all other facets of life, it's best to enjoy it when you have it and cherish the memories you create.

I just think life is not meant to be a one track thing. We all change (hopefully mostly for the better as we get older and wiser) and sometimes we need different things from our friends and what was once important maybe loses some significance, through no fault of anyone other than the changing nature of our lives.

Don't be sad when the boundaries of a friendship change. Instead, anticipate the arrival of another special person who may be just around the corner. So many times we close ourselves off to new 'friends' because we're too smug about the friendships we already have.

Those are the things I've learned up till now. We'll see what happens down the track though.