View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #113
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
How to deal with the narcissist at work.

In a nutshell, stroke their ego all the time. Especially just before you ask for something.
this guy is describing my counterpart at work. The bit about responding immediately to texts and emails jumped out at me.

Last year, while I was on vacation, I got a text from him with a question about how to do the tax on a lease for a Virginia customer. The text, and subsequent voice mail both started with, "put on your thinking cap..." It irked me that he bothered me with that kind of thing. And the way the text and voice mail were pretty much identical made it sound contrived. Like he was purposefully trying to intrude on my down time with something I had no way of actually helping him with.

Needless to say, I didn't reply at all to either. I don't WANT to put my fucking thinking cap on while I'm on vacation. That's the point of vacation.

He didn't talk to me for like 3 weeks when I got back, and I finally had to lock him in a room and make it clear that he doesn't have the right to question my dedication to my job. And that I saw clearly through his attempt to control me. It got heated.

The praise thing absolutely works, btw. I hate doing it though. I will have my new assistant read this. She's having a hard time understanding why he's such a dick to everyone.

thanks g
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote