View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #82
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Installing a new starter--A pictorial comedy

Pic 01 -- *Finally* got the wire on the terminal, and the washer (the second washer, who knows where the first one went), AND the nut. This is a major victory. Remember, for removal, I had to unbolt the starter, then take the cables off. In reverse, for installation, that means connecting the cables, like you see here, then bolting the starter fast. But what do you think is holding up the starter while I'm trying to attach these cables? Not the bolts. Friction. A piece of wood. Some paper towels (they're blue, you can see them under the hood somewhere). And plenty of luck. It's just on finger tight. You can see the tab on the cable is not in its locating slot. Yet.

Pic 02 -- By the time I got an actual wrench on this nut (and another one for the main power to the starter) you can see plenty of snow had accumulated. Just miserable. Cold and stiff and weary. But tight at last. You can see this solenoid is silver where the old one was black, and you can see the locating tab is seated deeply in the slot.
Attached Images