View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #11140
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ali, you and your friends look marvs.
Wish I was there!

Making me happy today, a lovely card I received from my post-lady.
Some background:
I don't have a doorbell, and live two floors up, so I can't hear anyone knocking on the door, unless they are very persistent and even then I have to be listening out for it to assume it's for me, as I live on a busy road with people going in and out of offices, slamming car doors, decanting from tourist coaches etc.
This means that anything that does not fit through my letterbox has to go back to the Sorting Office and although that's close, it isn't available for collection for 24 hours - longer if it's a Saturday.
So from about Easter this year, Karen took to leaving anything which she knew wouldn't fit through my letterbox in the Sorting Office, and leaving a card to say it was available for collection immediately.
This is not correct protocol, but meant I was able to receive items from eBay or Amazon much more quickly. Ditto when my Mum sends me helium balloons.

So as it's Christmas, and it (used to be) traditional to tip your binmen and postie, I took a box of biscuits into the Sorting Office and also sent Karen a card with a small token in.
Being me, I also wrote in it that she had made living away from friends and family much easier and I really appreciated her kindness.

Came down today to find a card from her in return.
She knew I'd been in hospital (I had someone come and collect my post, and he went to the Sorting Office to collect something, explaining I was ill) and wished me good health.
She thanked me and said I'd made her day.
She offered her best wishes if I was travelling over Christmas (knowing I'm an immigrant in Yorkshire terms.)

Bless her.

I almost want to send her another card to thank her for her card thanking me for my card.
Don't worry, I won't.

I never see the binmen - in fact I have real issues with dealing with disposing of rubbish, so they get nothing.
But I'm so glad I made her and the staff who I see at least weekly when I collect my items, happy.