View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #56
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
That interpretation implies that every potential gun owner would be forced to actively prove their competence before purchasing (as it is in Japan, for example.) ...
That's your non sequitur extrapolation, not my implication.

Quote:
... The proposed mental health laws in this case are only taking away Constitutional rights from those who have already gone out of their way to prove themselves unfit.
[BOLD MINE]

Not "only", that's why this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
... If information is wrong, then the list is appealed in court. Some 4000 did appeal and had their names removed from the list for various reasons ...
Quote:
We also have Constitutional rights to life and freedom, but we routinely take those away when the situation warrants it.
Those are subject to oversight, that mental health rule was not. This country has a history of insufficient oversight in the management of those with mental illness.

So, what was the mental illness for which Cruz should have had his Constitutional rights taken away preemptively?

If we can have commissions or boards make these determinations, then why not school boards to nip these people in the bud before they're even old enough to figure out how to get into trouble. Maybe they should also be barred from ever voting because they might want to vote for someone like Trump!.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote