View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #109
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
My boss just gave me a quart can of John McCann's steel cut Irish oatmeal. I don't know if it's any good, but the can is freaking awesome. Looks like a can of paint.

She openly admitted it was a re-gift and she had no desire to spend 30 minutes making oatmeal.
This is the most wonderful stuff in the world, and is absolutely worth the 30 minutes of close attention that the cooking process requires. Make a whole batch, eat 1/4, put the rest in the firdge in a microwavable container. I hate American Style Wallpaper Paste (I can't bring myself to call the Quaker stuff oatmeal), but I love McCann's. Awesome nutty roasty flavor.

Watch it like a hawk in the early stages, it has a tendency to froth up and boil over no matter how big the pot is! You can be more relaxed during the half-hour of simmering. I have never tried the soak overnight method. I do have a friend that does the crock pot while she's sleeping method (from Alton Brown's Good Eats) but says you either need to wake up early, or put in some extra liquid to have it work properly.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote