Thread: Olympic Fencing
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #32
Griff
still says videotape

Today was different. I'm still recovering from whatever happened Friday afternoon. I fenced very carefully saving energy all day and wound up in fourth place.

The topper of the day was a bout only an epeeist could love. I fenced this college guy, who had beaten me in epee and sabre last time out. In the pools, I beat him by hopping openning up quick counter attacks. So he figures he'll slow me down in the de, to which I say thankyou as I am feeling pretty run down today. First period we fence to 0-0, lots of false attacks nobody committing. Second period he picks my hand beautifully on a compound attack. 0-1 going into the third. I break out the hopping a little bit get him moving back and forth and work his wrist obsessively, which as intended opens up his knee on an advance 1-1 w00t. Time runs out he gets priority (randomly assigned) in OT. That means I have to score or I lose. We double touch once nothing done. I slowly work him to the end of the strip and make a false attack at his foot at about 55 seconds. He recovers with his front foot on the endline. I go for it again, he goes off the end of the strip point and bout to the old guy with almost a second to spare. Craziest win ever.