View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #64
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I just woke up from having worked an unexpected double last night. By "unexpected," I mean that the night shift person called off an hour before her shift. I had just gotten into that mode of "all right, only an hour to go and I'm home in bed!"

Not quite.

There were still a bunch of patients in the lobby waiting for beds at 2300, and hyperguy and I were getting things under control and then ... another patient walks in. Not a walk in, this guy was expected, but he should have been to us LONG before he arrived. Technically, he showed up after his bed was released, but thank FSM, we hadn't put anybody else in it.

So, I had a whole admission to do on top of the "leftovers," which included several discussions with insurance companies. Hyperguy stayed for a little bit, until around 0130 or 0200 or so, I don't really remember anymore.

The one thing that was kind of crucial to my getting out of there before 0700 when the next person would be in was ... being able to forward the phones to another department. Sounds simple, right? I even had some instructions. They were for an older phone, and so were nigh useless.

Hyperguy was so hyper he couldn't remember how to do it.

The nurse manager who sits in the office down the hall didn't know either.

The unit the calls forward to didn't even know that calls forwarded to them.

When I finally finished the last insurance call, I tried every single darn button on the phone.

And found it.

I tested it by calling the main number and the unit that didn't know it answered the phones answered the phone.

Awesome.

I got home around 0600. I think I may have had five hours of sleep.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote