Thread: Crafty DIYers
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 AM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Since everybody is playing Paul Revere yelling, the snow is coming, the snow is coming, I'll slip in another one of mine.

I had tons of small scrap pieces of various types of wood, so I laid out what I wanted on a piece of plywood, kind of an oval with squared off ends, I think if I hadn't squared the ends it would have been six foot. Screwed it down to my work table.
Aside; that work table is recycled bowling alley, on shortened wooden file card cabinets.

I cut the pieces of wood so the were more or less pointing to the center, then glued them together and to the plywood, I didn't have a planer at the time, and cutting those little pieces to the same thickness on the tablesaw is scary. Since I'm a pussy, I figured after they were glued I'd even them up with a belt sander, but I didn't relish the amount of dust that would make in the cellar. So I took a couple of steel tubes with blocks of wood on each end, and used the router like a manual milling machine cutting the glued blocks to uniform height. Then cut the outline in the blocks and plywood with a Jig/Saber Saw and sanded smooth.

Then and only then, 'cause Mama didn't raise no fools, 'cept my brother, carefully made a paper template of the opening. Took that to the mirror store and said make me a half inch beveled mirror this shape... Oh, and this side up in case my hand cut opening was a little wonky. I'd measured and eyeballed the hell out of it, but it had to be right on the money. Covered with two part Bar Finish epoxy... I'd have preferred a flat finish but chicks like shiny. Covered the back with thin plywood and the mirror is glued to that

I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out the reflection in the mirror. I was sure that's my spare bedroom by the half curtains and wood shutters, but it looks like a black rollaway toolbox and I never had one. After much photoshoping I discovered three's an amp and tom-toms. OK, that's when a friends band was using that room for rehearsals. Duh.