View Single Post
Old 09-14-2002, 06:00 PM   #30
jaguar
whig

Why is starbucks bad?
Well to add to what headsplice said....
Yes, they are an evil company, yes; its very good case of cultural imperialism but most importantly it’s so goddamn arrogant. One thing (with some exceptions) I think I can safely say is that the vast majority of the US has nowhere near the coffee culture of Europe.
Quote:
2) The only local outlet around my particular area that is not Starbucks has shitty coffee, offered in styrofoam cups, does not sell fresh beans, has a crappy tile floor, uncomfortable seating, no sense of style whatsoever, and is only open until 2pm. Please I beg of you, replace this with a Starbucks.
My point entirely! That kinda of café lifestyle (and cafe latte to sell your soul for) simply does not exist, nor does the quality of coffee. Same applies here, Melbourne’s in particular has huge immigrant populations for Europe and thus we have a fantastic inner city cafe culture (which is where I spend most of my weekends). Entire plazas, little alleys full of made on the spot fresh and delicious food and the best coffee you can dream of in truly great surroundings. Live jazz in the evenings, the streets are permanently closed and full of tables, grab a group of friends and lap it up, no better way to spend a balmy evening.
Out of curiosity I tried starbucks, yes, it’s extremely overprice to stat with but the coffee is SHIT I cannot emphasize that enough, it was the most cruddy tasting weak POS I've ever come across. Some of the street stalls make better coffee, I thought I was drinking Nescafe for a second. In short, it’s an arrogant eyesore. It doesn't seem to be doing that well, so with any luck it'll close down sooner or later. It certainly hasn't dented the cafes, I’m not the slightest bit surprised.